A mobile application, most commonly referred to as an app, is a type of application software designed to run on a mobile device, such as a smartphone or tablet computer. Mobile applications frequently serve to provide users with similar services to those accessed on PCs. Apps are generally small, individual software units with limited function.
A mobile application also may be known as an app, web app, online app, iPhone app or smartphone app.
There are several types of apps currently available 1. Gaming Applications 2. Productivity Applications 3. Lifestyle and entertainment Applications 4. Educational Applications 5. Utility Applications 6. Travel Applications 7. M-commerce Applications
Mobile App Advantages
- Speed and Performance — Mobile apps work with a phone’s built-in features, like location services, microphone, and camera, so apps built for the mobile device usually work faster. (However, there are exceptions, depending on the specific functionality of the app.)
- Ability to Send Push Notifications — Mobile apps allow you to send users reminders, which increases engagement.
- Improved User Experience —Since developers create mobile apps specifically for a particular operating system, they sometimes offer a better user experience.
- Offline Access — Many mobile apps offer offline access not dependent on WiFi once the user downloads the app. (Again, this will depend on the specific functionality of your app.)
- Promotional Opportunities — Listing your app in the App Store or Google Play extends your reach to a broader audience.
Mobile App Disadvantages
- Cost of Development — An Android app won’t work on iOS, and vice versa. You’ll need to build two separate mobile apps if you want to serve both platforms. (Note: In limited cases, cross-platform development allows one code base to address both iOS and Android devices, but this technology is still developing and isn’t a guaranteed possibility when looking to ensure a high-quality end product).
- Cost of Maintenance — Mobile apps require regular maintenance updates for bug fixes, security issues, etc.
- App Store Approvals Can Take Time — It’s a tedious process and can take a few weeks to secure approval from the App Store.
- Download Required — Use of the app requires that a user download and install it on their device. Some users may not want to install another app on their phones.